Ruscus aculeatus

This plant drove my attention, actually our attention, few months ago during one of the visits of a group of members from the Pacific Horticultural Society from California, during their travel to Mallorca.
In a shaded patio away form the brilliant midday sun (although it was still mid April), we were astonished by a shrub we did not recognized.  Somenone mentioned it could be a butcher's broom, the common name for Ruscus aculeatus, but we were not sure then.  After some research it was confirmed.

It is a shrub with bright green leaves that in spring have white flowers in the center of each leave that are followed by red berries.  It is a plant found in woodlands because loves shade, but it also could be a  great add to any garden with shade conditions.  It is fascinating to know that what appears to be some sort of rope is a flower!



Comments

Your photos are alwasy so good. Thanks for sharing them. I always enjoy my visits. Jack
lula - botanical photography said…
Thank you, I am happy to know you enjoy the blog
Anonymous said…
The plant leaves look decorated, not even real. I never saw that before. Nice photos, Lula.
What a fascinating plant! In the bud phase (or is it after the flowers fall) in the second shot, the little fruit attachment looks like an insect. I can only imagine how beautiful this plant is in its natural environment. Thanks for sharing!
Anonymous said…
This is new to me as well, and fascinating. I know shrubs where the flowers appear directly from the trunk (like the Judas tree) but not from the middle of the leaf like this one...
I have never seen a flower emerge from the middle of leaf. Amazing!